I really wanted to document a lot more of my summer in LA. I’m lucky enough to be able to extend my stay until the fall! I think what I learned from LA does not have much to do with Los Angeles itself, but from moving to another city and not knowing a lot of people. It really helped me grow as an individual and if you asked me a year ago if I would be here I would have probably responded saying, yeah that would be super cool! But I am proud of myself for actually doing this! So being able to learn so much and look back at this part of my life later on will be amazing. Okay onto what I learned…
- Not everyone is your friend : People are not all the same as what you are used to at home. There really is so many different personalities to each area. Just roll with it and stay you.
- Make friends ASAP : This is more of a safety thing, you can do it on your own but you should not have to. That’s kinda like my motto if I’m being honest.
- You have to learn your surroundings : Know where you can go for a walk, the best thai restaurant, and where Uber picks you up and drops you off
- I learned to be independent : I never really knew what it meant to have a real job before, so this was a totally new experience over all
- You learn to appreciate home : you get to miss what you don’t have and who is not around, so it makes it more special when you go back.
Graphic Tee : Buddy Love // Skirt : One Teaspoon (similar) // Shoes : Steve Madden (similar)
If you’re new here I wanted to say welcome to my blog! I thought I would introduce myself, or re-introduce myself if you’ve been here before. I enjoy reading a little about the girl behind their blogs and so i decided to share about me as well. Just a few things to accompany this look and outfit details as always!
- I genuinely love to blog : It’s the best hobby and I am definitely starting to focus on turning it into a side hustle! Shooting is always so fun and putting everything together is super fun when I see the finished product. It’s something I actually found that I have a passion to keep going!
- I love to watch criminal shows : Criminal minds and documentaries about serial killers are so intriguing to me! I have no idea why but I can watch them for hours. Sometimes I get scared if I’m home alone because of watching all of the shows, but it it entertaining and helps you remember to watch your surroundings.
- I try to go to church every Sunday : Going to private catholic schools all of my life has really engrained that in me and now I go freely. I am honestly blessed enough to not be one of those people who was burnt out because of it, but I learned how important it is to go.
- I’m a people person : I love getting to know people and learning about them and why they are the way they are. I like to decipher their personalities and try to make friends with as many people as possible because I like to talk to and be around others for the majority of my time.
- I have a puppy named Paisley : She’s a tiny one (like me) and it makes me so sad when I can’t live with her for whatever reason. I cannot wait to have my own apartment again to keep her because she is a handful! She lives with my momma right now and is so spoiled but there is nothing like having her with me!
Top : (similar) (similar) // Shorts : Levi’s // Hat : (similar)
Every Thursday I have been going to The Grove for ‘Picnic and Podcasts in the Park’. It was a weekly event for the month which featured live podcasts from Dear Media. The four events featured The Skinny Confidential Him & Her, As Seen Online with Jilly Hendrix, That’s so Retrograde and Work Party.
I had really only heard of two of the four but I enjoyed it so I RSVP’d to go after work every week. I honestly love listening to podcasts so this was right up my alley! If you know anything about Dear Media you know it is run by Michael Bosstick who is the Him in The Skinny Confidential Him & Her Podcast. It was so exciting getting to meet them both after their live recording and I knew the rest of the podcasts would be great because they are both so creative and business savvy.
There was complimentary drinks, candy, macaroons and sometimes goodie bags! It was just a fun experience and I wanted to write about it because it was one of the fun things I got to do while in LA that not everyone gets to attend. I cannot wait to listen to more episodes and see how the company grows.
Top : Top Shop // Jeans : Vintage (similar) // Necklaces : Forever 21 (similar)
Typical Beach pictures for a Typical Beach day
Let me just start off by saying how beyond beautiful Malibu is! Mountains on one side, beach to the other, so dreamy at sunset! Its breath taking and the weather was beautiful! NOTHING like Texas beaches! I was able to get into the cool water and get out, tan for a bit and get right back in and it still feel good. That is a miracle in itself!
There are lots of fun things to do around here, most of which involve cute places to eat, one of which being Malibu Farms which is the first cool restaurant that will pop up in your search. (This is where I took the pictures in front of the pink bench.) Let me tell you after a day at the beach I had a BLT Kale salad and it was beyond delicious! Also I could not resist some chocolate frozen yogurt as well and it tasted just like soft serve.
The thing about beaches like these are that the sand comes off so easily, you don’t smell the harsh sea smell all around you, and there is not a lot of humidity like Texas beaches! Truly different and fun to go at any time of the day!
A recommendation or two :
Malibu Farms : Amazing dinner and sweet desserts
Water Activities : Go for a swim or a surf, the waves are huge and beautiful
Hiking & Biking : There are lots of trails nearby and the views are seriously amazing!
Cafe Habana : Another place to stop for a bite and take lots of instagram shots!
Bandeau : Victoria Secret (similar) // Shorts : Levi’s
Back to the Study Abroad Posts!
Did I even go to the Swiss Alps if I did not sing the songs from The Sound of Music when we got to the top?! Seriously a great experience and so beautiful! The pictures definitely did not do it justice and standing at the tallest point we could was like being on top of the world! Truly a great experience I will never be able to get back!
We were also able to go to the glacier near the bottom and take lots of pictures! There were tabs while we went down the mountain showing how much the glacier has receeded over the years. It was so sad how small it is now compared to even a few years ago. Global warming is a real thing and it is super important to all do our part to watch over the world.
We went on several train rides and rides up and down the alps. The little french town that surrounded the Alps were so sweet. We had crepes which were so authentic and tasted amazing! We were told it would be freezing so we all bundled up in jackets and sweaters only to find we could have worn shorts and a long sleeve! We definitely needed this for the glacier though!
Sweater : Zara (similar) // Jeans : TopShop // Convertible Backpack Bag : DSW
I always think the best, most unique pieces come from local boutiques. I love getting basics and trendy pieces from places like Forever 21 and more common places at the mall. But for a piece that not everyone has I like to go to thrift shops and specialty boutiques downtown. While we don’t all have the same places to shop, I wanted to share a few of my favorite online boutiques for you to check out! These places are some of my favorites and range in price, so check first before you totally fall in love with a killer look. Also leave a comment below on your favorite online or local boutique! I’d love to check it out!
Amazing Lace : Girly and fun, this shop has the best swimsuits as well! I never buy swimmies online, but I couldn’t resist and it fit me perfectly!
Berkley Elleven : Boho Style with a chill vibe, I love the layered jewelry they sell as well and they’re pieces are always unique
Sundae Muse : Australian boutique with super cute pieces, but it does take a while to be shipped because of the distance so keep that in mind and tends to run small so size up if it’s a tighter top!
Top : (similar) (similar) // Skirt : Free People // Shoes : Steve Madden // Purse : Kate Spade (similar)